Corinne Diacre was sacked as France women’s head coach 5 months before the World Cup
The French Football Federation announced on Thursday that Corinne Diacre, head coach of the France women’s national team since 2017, has been sacked just five months before the World Cup.
The FFF released a statement saying there was a “very significant rift” between the leadership (diacre) and a number of players that had become “prejudicial to the interests of the national team”.
While there has been tension in the France women’s team since last year’s European Championships, things began to come to a head in late February when team captain Wendie Renard announced she would not be playing at the upcoming World Cup, both to protect her sanity and against the to protest “current system.”
“I love France more than anything, I’m not perfect, far from it, but I can no longer support the current system which is far from what is required at the highest level,” Renard said in a statement on social media, via The Guardian . “It’s a sad day but necessary to keep my sanity. It is with a heavy heart that I inform you of my decision to resign from the French team. Unfortunately, I will not be playing under such conditions at this World Cup. My face may hide the pain, but my heart is suffering… and I don’t want to suffer anymore.”
Renard’s message reportedly related to Diacre. Two other players, Marie-Antoinette Katoto and Kadidiatou Diani, followed their captain’s lead and said they would not play at the World Cup until “the necessary changes” were made.
Diacre defended herself on Wednesday, releasing a statement saying that despite the attacks on her character, she wanted to keep fighting to bring a World Cup trophy to France.
“I have endured, not without great suffering, the display of slanders, untruths and ambitions of some and others […] I have been the subject of a smear campaign that is astounding in its violence and dishonesty.”
“My critics have not hesitated to attack my personal and professional integrity, without caring about the truth. I will not allow myself to be swayed by this destabilization operation, which does not take into account my sporting record and whose only objective is a personal settlement.” scores.”
“Nevertheless, in the face of the shameful media frenzy of the last few days, I would like to publicly reiterate what I said to the Commission. That I am fully committed to fulfilling my mission and making France proud at the next World Cup.”
She was released less than 24 hours later.
According to The Athletic, the interim president of the French Football Federation, Philippe Diallo, has requested that the Executive Committee start talks with potential candidates for the post immediately so that they can make recommendations and move forward with the recruitment process as soon as possible.