DOJ Consider Charges Against Derek Chauvin for 2017 Arrest Involving a Teenage Boy: Report
The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) is debating whether the now convicted former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin should be charged in connection with a 2017 incident in which he allegedly violated a 14-year-old boy and used his knee to kill Holding the teenager almost 17 minutes, according to a report
ABC News quoted a source in reporting that the Minnesota prosecutor tried to capture video evidence of at least one of his previous arrests in the months leading up to Chauvin’s trial, but the judge ultimately denied their request.
According to reports, the Justice Department is currently investigating whether to bring charges against the ex-police officer for the acts depicted in the video.
Prosecutor Matthew Frank, who argued in court files for the video’s use in Chauvin’s trial, said the body camera material in question showed “Chauvin’s use of inappropriate violence against this child and total disdain for his welfare.”
The video allegedly shows Chauvin being aggressive with the teen while the ex-cop responded to a domestic violence call with another cop in September 2017. The teenager was allegedly one of two people accused of assaulting his mother.
ABC News reported that the footage allegedly showed chauvin slapping the 14-year-old on the head after failing to comply with officials. Chauvin reportedly hit the teen twice with a flashlight and reportedly held the boy’s throat. Then “he put on a neck rest, causing the child to pass out and go down,” Frank wrote in court records.
“Chauvin and [the other officer] placed [the teenager] lying prone and handcuffing him behind his back while the teen’s mother asked her not to kill her son and told her son to stop resisting, ”Frank wrote, according to the report. “About a minute after he hit the floor, the child started telling officers repeatedly that he couldn’t breathe, and his mother told Chauvin to take his son’s knee off.”
He reportedly adjusted his knee after 8 minutes and placed it on the boy’s upper back for an additional 9 minutes, Frank wrote.
The teen was arrested for disability violence and domestic violence, ABC News reported. He began to bleed from his ears during the allegedly forcible arrest and eventually needed stitches, Frank wrote.
“As was the case with his conduct with George Floyd, Chauvin quickly escalated his use of force for a relatively minor offense,” Frank continued on the court records.
“Just as with Floyd, chauvin used an inappropriate amount of violence, regardless of the need for that violence or the well-being of the victim. Just like with Floyd, when the child was slow to hold onto chauvin and chauvin [the other officer’s] Instructions, Chauvin grabbed the child by the neck, forced him to prone on the ground and put his knee on the child’s neck with so much force that the child started screaming in pain and Chauvin said he could not breathe. “
The DOJ, Minnesota Attorney General and Minneapolis Police Department spokespersons did not respond to Fox News’ request for comment on Friday.
Chauvin stood on trial for weeks starting earlier this month in connection with George Floyd’s death on May 25, 2020.
A jury found Chauvin guilty of accidental second degree murder, third degree murder and second degree manslaughter on Tuesday. His conviction, which is scheduled for June 16, has been behind bars for decades.
Thank You For Visiting. Please Support This Site By SHARING And Following Us In The Social Networks.