King Charles planning ‘major shakeup’ to royal household staff: report
King Charles is looking to trim the fat of his royal household staff as he plans to axe a whopping 20% of jobs in a “major shakeup,” according to a report.
The King has made his desire for a slimmed-down monarchy known ever since assuming the throne — and it seems as though he’s finally making the necessary changes for a more efficient environment.
Charles and his wife, Queen Camilla, reportedly believe that too many members of staff are doing similar jobs, The Mail on Sunday reports.
And the massive job cut is believed to affect “dozens” of employees at Buckingham Palace, Sandringham, Windsor Castle, and Balmoral — the major royal residences.
“There is a real feeling that the staffing at all the palaces is too heavy,” a source told the outlet. “There are far too many assistants to assistants. The King and Queen would prefer to pay people proper wages top to bottom but have less people.”
The insider added, “For instance, there are chefs for them and chefs for the staff. Why, they ask, can’t there be one lot of kitchen staff for everyone?”
The monarch has reportedly been on a mission to modernize the monarchy since his coronation on May 6.
And it seems as though Camilla is helping her husband do the very same by assuming a key role in overseeing the changes in royal staffing.
Camilla has made it clear that “a leveling-up of Royal staff” is needed, the outlet adds.
“Her Majesty cannot abide too many people doing the same jobs. Senior housekeeper, executive housekeepers and juniors,” a source said.
Her sentiments echo that of Charles’, who last year notified up to 100 members of staff at Clarence House, his former official residence, that they could lose their jobs.
In fact, Camilla really got the ball rolling by reportedly raising the issues with Vice Admiral Sir Tony Johnstone-Burt, the Master of the Household.
The matter has been apparently raised with Vice Admiral Sir Tony Johnstone-Burt, the Master of the Household.
The Post has reached out to Buckingham Palace for comment.
Despite the King’s bid for a smaller monarchy, his sister Princess Anne previously said she doesn’t think it’s a good idea.
“I think ‘slimmed-down’ was said in a day when there were a few more people around to make that seem like a justifiable comment,” she said back in May. “It doesn’t sound like a good idea from where I’m standing… I’m not quite sure what else we can do.”
Anne suggested that the royal family was already streamlined enough after Prince Harry, Meghan Markle stepped back as senior working members of the family.
Meanwhile, scandal-scarred Prince Andrew was told to do so.