Prosecutors clear UK sexual assault charges against Kevin Spacey
London – Britain’s prosecutors say they have approved charges against actor Kevin Spacey for sexually assaulting three men on four counts, the service said in a statement on Thursday. He also faced a fifth count of “inducing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent” relating to one of the three men. Prosecutors’ statement was a change from earlier in the day when they said he had been charged.
“It is understood he has not been formally charged as he is not in the country,” reported BBC News.
The first two alleged assaults took place in London in March 2005 against the same man, now in his 40s. The third alleged assault, and the charge of inducing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent, relates to an incident that took place in London in August 2008 against another man, now in his 30s. A fourth alleged attack took place in Gloucestershire in 2013 against a third man, now in his 30s.
“The prosecution reminds all concerned that Mr. Spacey is criminally prosecuted and that he has the right to a fair trial,” the CPS said in a statement, urging that “no reporting, comment or disclosure of information be made online, which could affect this procedure in any way.”
After American actor Anthony Rapp claimed in 2017 that Spacey climbed on him in a bed when he was 14, numerous allegations of assault and improper conduct were leveled at Spacey.
The Old Vic Theater in London, where Spacey was artistic director for 11 years until 2015, said two years after his departure that it was obtained during its own investigation into his behaviorand encouraged 14 of those who made the allegations to go to the police.
These allegations involved interactions between 1995 and 2013, all involving men. Alleged incidents ranged from behavior that made people uncomfortable to “sexually inappropriate” touching, but there were no rape allegations reported by the theater.
In 2019, Massachusetts prosecutorsagainst Spacey, who had been charged with indecent assault and assault. The district attorney said he was dropping the case “due to the unavailability of the plaintiff witness.”
Spacey was accused of groping a then 18-year-old in a bar three years earlier. The accuser said Spacey bought him several alcoholic beverages and then groped him.
Editor’s Note: This story and headline have been updated.