Soccer legend Pelé hospitalized in Brazil for cancer treatment but daughter says ‘not an emergency’
Brazilian soccer star Pelé was hospitalized in Sao Paulo to regulate medication while battling a colon tumor, his daughter said on Wednesday.
Kely Nascimento added that there was “no emergency” regarding her 82-year-old father’s health.
The Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo later added in a statement that Edson Arantes do Nascimento, known worldwide as Pelé, was in a stable condition after arriving Tuesday “to reassess the chemotherapy treatment for the tumor.”
The hospital also said the former footballer is “in full control of his vital signs” and has not been taken to intensive care or semi-intensive care units for treatment.
Kely Nascimento, who lives in the United States, made the comments in an Instagram post after calling “much media alarm today regarding my father’s health.”
ESPN Brasil previously reported that the three-time world champion was hospitalized for “general swelling”.
“Really and truly, we appreciate the care and love,” Nascimento said.
Pele’s spokesman Joe Fraga told The Associated Press that the former footballer is “for his monthly check-up”.
Pelé had a tumor removed in September 2021, and the hospital said at the time he would start chemotherapy.
Pelé has since used his social media channels to deny that he was in poor health. His last public comment was in an Instagram post on October 23, his birthday.
“I just want to express my gratitude. Life is good. Turning 82 with my family in good health is the best gift. Thank you for everything I received,” he said in a video.
Pelé helped Brazil win the World Cups in 1958, 1962 and 1970 and remains the country’s all-time leading scorer with 77 goals in 92 games for the national team.