The TikTok trend of tiny magnets could be life threatening – and NHS wants them banned from UK news

0
60

[ad_1]

A TikTok trend of teenagers using tiny magnets as artificial tongue piercings has led the NHS to call for the metal balls to be banned.

The viral challenge is for people to place two magnetic balls on either side of their tongue to create the appearance of a tongue piercing.

However, accidentally ingesting more than one magnet can be life threatening and cause serious damage within a few hours.

The NHS The number of older children being hospitalized has been reported to have increased as many joined the online buzz, leading the NHS to issue a patient safety warning earlier this month.

According to Worcester News, an 11-year-old was among those who suffered serious complications after apparently swallowing multiple magnets.

Ellis Tripp was hospitalized and had to undergo six hours of surgery to remove five inches of his bowel.

His mother, Amy Clarke, asked other parents to look out for them Tick ​​tock Trend.

“I’m in a nightmare. This TikTok madness could have killed him if he’d stayed longer. Please talk to your children and tell them how DANGEROUS THESE ARE,” she wrote on Facebook.

A 13-year-old girl reportedly underwent major surgery after trying out the social media trend.

Her mother, Faye Elizabeth of Rainhill, said her daughter swallowed 15 of the magnetic beads, according to Liverpool Echo.

The tiny balls are less than 6 mm in diameter and can be swallowed easily.

Once ingested, they can compress in the intestines or intestines, compressing tissues and cutting off the blood supply.

At least 65 children have been admitted to hospital in England for urgent surgery after swallowing magnets in the past three years.

Professor Simon Kenny, pediatric surgeon and national clinical director for children and adolescents at NHS England, has called for the magnets to be banned.

He said, “Children or their parents don’t enjoy removing magnets that have been swallowed and stuck together by different parts of the intestine, or the long-term physical problems and internal scars that may remain.

“I would urge parents to be aware of the dangers associated with magnetic toys. Ultimately, however, the only way to prevent future incidents is by preventing these items from being sold altogether.”

The NHS said anyone who has swallowed magnets shouldn’t wait to develop symptoms and go to A&E immediately instead.

[ad_2]

Source link

Thank You For Visiting. Please Support This Site By SHARING And Following Us In The Social Networks.

Leave a Comment