Thierry Henry leaves social media for racist abuse

0
245

[ad_1]

Thierry Henry is leaving social media until the various platforms can properly regulate racism and bullying on the site, he said on Friday.

The demands for better control on social platforms are increasing and soccer players are increasingly exposed to racist abuse on and off the pitch. The former Arsenal striker said he will leave the platforms from Saturday.

Henry wants social media regulation

Here is Henry’s full statement:

“Hi folks. Starting tomorrow morning, I’ll be removing myself from social media until those in power are able to regulate their platforms with the same force and ferocity that they currently do when you breach copyright law. The sheer extent of Racism, Bullying and the Consequences Mental torture for individuals is too toxic to ignore. There needs to be some accountability. It is far too easy to create an account, use it to bully and use without consequence harassment and still remain anonymous. Until this changes I will deactivate my accounts I hope this happens soon. “

Henry resigned from his position as head coach at MLS ‘Montreal Impact last month for family reasons. When the team debuted at the MLS is Back tournament last summer, Henry knelt at the kick-off, which lasted until 8:46 of the first half. It represented the length of time police officer Derek Chauvin kept his knee on George Floyd’s neck in the minutes prior to his death, as reported in an initial criminal complaint. The prosecution has since set the time to at least nine minutes.

He was one of two black head coaches in the league and used social media to talk about Floyd’s death and call for changes.

Racism in football

Henry’s move away from social media comes after Jude Bellingham, a 17-year-old Borussia Dortmund midfielder, posted screenshots of abusive comments on his social media posts. There were monkey and feces emojis and derogatory messages about his mother. He labeled it, “Just another day on social media …”

Similar cases occurred this month among a long list of other football players, including Patrick van Aanholt, Kemar Roofe and Rhian Brewster. Arsenal midfielder Willian shared screenshots of abuse last month and wrote, “Something has to change! The fight against racism continues. “

The English Football Association (FA) urged social media companies earlier this month to do more against abuse on the platforms. FA chief Mark Bullingham told Sky Sports:

“They should take responsibility for being the editors of their content and, in fact, they are the only ones who have the technology to act, to prevent it from being published in the first place, and to allow the authorities to act quickly if it does. “

“They should do more and we keep putting pressure on them to do this.”

NCAA tournament athletes receive death threats

The broader topic has been around for years. U.S. men’s national team star Reggie Cannon faced setbacks and threats at Dallas FC for kneeling during the anthem and has since left for Boavista. He said The Guardian death threats are part of American life.

“I threaten to kill your family, threaten to show up at your house, threaten to do vulgar things to you, I can’t say that. Unfortunately, it’s part of the society that America is today, especially when Trump was in command of the Now we passed it. “

Social media threats and abuse go beyond football. E.J. Liddell posted threat news screenshots after the Buckeyes were pissed off by Oral Roberts in the first round of the NCAA men’s tournament. Illinois star Kofi Cockburn shared inappropriate comments received after Loyola Chicago picked out the title favorites.

NBA and NFL players have also received death threats after major games.

More from Emox News:



[ad_2]

Source link

Thank You For Visiting. Please Support This Site By SHARING And Following Us In The Social Networks.

Leave a Comment