Woman who claims she overdosed on fentanyl-spiked dollars says she was never tested at the hospital
The Kentucky woman, who was hospitalized after picking up a dollar she claims was laced with fentanyl, which led to an overdose, said neither she nor Bill were ever tested for the powerful opioid been.
Renee Parsons shared the revelation in a Thursday appearance on Fox and Friends, where she remained confident she had overdosed on fentanyl despite a spate of doubt thrown at her story by medical experts and police.
“Last we heard — the dollar bill was never tested, and that came straight from the cop himself,” Parsons, along with her husband Justin Parsons, told host Charley Shimkus.
“My hospital records also show that I was not tested for fentanyl,” Renee said. “They did a six or 10-part drug test and it came back negative. When the doctor entered the hospital room, he said, “I’m sorry we can’t test for synthetic opioids,” which is fentanyl [is].”
Renee Parsons said she collapsed from a drug overdose just moments after picking up the check in the parking lot of a McDonald’s in Tennessee while traveling to Dallas with her family on Sunday.
As they walked, “she felt this feeling take over my body, it really started at my shoulders and went down,” she told Fox.
“And it really didn’t necessarily get difficult to breathe because I was gasping for air, but difficult to breathe because it almost took over my body to relax so much that I didn’t really want to breathe.”
Her husband, Justin Parsons, said he saw his wife’s speech become “slurred” and said she was placed in the seat as her “head went back and forth with the curves of the vehicle”.
“I told our oldest son to dial 9-1-1, which he did, and they ask for the address, which we didn’t know, and at the same time,” he said. “I look up and just put a hospital in my iPhone and drove off to go to the nearest hospital.”
According to a Metro Nashville police officer who was called to the emergency room, Parsons was definitely not exposed to fentanyl because she did not require Narcan resuscitation, while preliminary testing revealed no drugs in her system.
Police told WSMV officers that no residues were found on the dollar bill, so it was never tested because no one was charged with a crime. But authorities said they still planned to crush the bill.
Medical experts question Parsons’ self-diagnosis of a fentanyl overdose. dr Caleb Alexander, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, told Fox News Tuesday that such cases are “incredibly rare,” akin to “lightning.”
“It would be incredibly unusual for someone to touch something contaminated with fentanyl and then experience a really serious adverse effect,” he said.
dr Rebecca Donald, a fentanyl expert at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, said that even if the dollar bill were contaminated with the narcotic, it would take more than simple skin contact to cause an overdose.
“She’s much more likely to have a reaction if she accidentally rubbed her nose and exposed the drug to some of the blood vessels in her nose, or licked her fingers, or rubbed her eyes,” she explained.